Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Varajao Ain't Walkin Through That Door

Out of the clear blue sky, our good buddy and resident flop king Anderson Varajao has decided to speak and let the world know the Cavaliers and Danny Ferry have done him wrong. In his first interview in months, the Brazilian sixth man and key cog in the Cavaliers run to the Eastern Conference Title says he is essentially done in Cleveland. He told ESPN.com's Chad Ford the following:

"I wanted to come back," he said. "I love the fans and I really love my teammates. But there are others there that have made it very difficult. It's gotten to the point that I don't want to play there anymore. I'm just hoping for a sign-and-trade at this point."

He told Ford that Ferry showed up in Brazil unannounced to offer him a contract, going behind his agent's back. That didn't sit well with agent Dan Fegan or Andy: "I was shocked," Varejao said. "He showed up and wanted me to sign a contract. I told him he's got to talk to my agent. He didn't even up his offer. I guess he thought if he just showed up, I would just sign whatever he gave me."

"It defies logic for the Cavs to accuse Anderson of demanding too much money on a long-term deal while at the same time refusing to allow Anderson to sign a one-year deal for less money, especially when they retain his Bird rights next year." Fegan said. "It begs the question: If their offer is truly fair, what are they afraid of?"

More From Varajao: "I'm willing to go and play in Europe if that's what it takes," Varejao said. "I know it's a risk and I'll be a restricted free agent next year, but at least I'd be happy. I don't think I'll be happy in Cleveland knowing that I was [almost] the lowest-paid player there for three years and am still paid much less than players on the team that I outperform. Life's too short to be unhappy."

All Ferry could do is defend his position: "From the start of free agency, we told Anderson and his agent that the ability to communicate with him directly was going to be very important to the process," Ferry said. "The trip was done because our communication with Anderson was no longer available to us."

You want my take? Varajao can tell me all he wants that he is getting screwed, but he and his agent both think they are better than they are. I said it before, he isn't nearly the player Drew Gooden is, yet wants more money than Drew's three year, $22 million deal. That said, Ferry going to Brazil around Fegan was a total chump move. He should hold firm, stay in Cleveland, and work a sign and trade. Call it a day and move on.

No comments: